July 16, 2011

My Birthday Blessing - Olivia Marie

Today I am linking up to Kelly's Korner for her Show Us Your Life Series..



It all started when I went to a new doctor, Dr. Owens {he's wonderful.} Dr. Owens wanted to put me on a new medicine called Provera, but before I could start taking it there were some tests to be run. As a precaution on July 29, 2009 they performed a quantitative blood pregnancy test. I prepared myself for the inevitable "negative" result, never expecting that I'd be pregnant. The very next day Dr. Owens nurse Amy {also very nice} called and told me not to take my medicine, that I was going to have a baby. In a second my world changed forever. My hands began to shake and I asked her at least 5 times if she was sure. In a quantitative blood test they measure the hCG levels in a woman's blood, anything below a 10 is negative; above an 11 is positive. My level was 257!! Immediately I ran into the other room to wake Chance and give him the news. {Looking back now it's funny to see the symmetry between the day I found out I was pregnant and the day Olivia was born.} I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Guess what." and to my surprise he responded with "You're pregnant." Maybe the ridiculous gin on my face gave it away, or maybe he had other suspicions- I don't know. Then he rolled back over and went back to sleep. Typical Chance! {He later let me know how excited he was!!} On the 31st I went in to have more blood work drawn to make sure that everything was progressing normally, my hCG level should have at least been 500.. it was 894. I was over the moon with excitement. As soon as I received my results I made my first appointment with Dr. Owens for August 18, 2009; my birthday. What a wonderful birthday gift from God.

1 comment: