November 17, 2011

Poppyseed Chicken Recipe

Last week I shared my seemingly never-ending to do list. One of those "to do's" was to take dinner to some sweet friends. Well I did, and it looked delicious. So I made it for us that night too. Then Olivia and I shared the left overs with our friends at the slumber party. It was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
Go make it, now.
Well maybe you should wait until dinner time. But I wouldn't judge you if you wanted to eat it for breakfast. It's that good.

{photo borrowed from here}

Poppyseed Chicken
{Adapted from the recipe found at The Girl Who Ate Everything, my changes in pink}

5 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed - I used boneless chicken tenders because they can be easily and quickly cut with kitchen sheers and sister was in a hurry!

1 cup sour cream
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (about 1 1/2 rolls of crackers - We love these crackers, I used 2 rolls)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 T poppy seeds

Additional Ingredients to make it fancy:
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce - used it
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1 T lemon juice - used it
1/4 tsp pepper - used it

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Boil raw chicken breasts with salt and pepper until done. I like to boil it with half an onion cut into large chunks to give it more flavor. I used 2 bouillon cubes. Let chicken cool slightly and cut into one inch cubes. I cut it before I boiled it, decreasing the cook time. Place cubed chicken in a 9X13 casserole dish.
Stir together the condensed soup and sour cream. If you wish to add the additional flavorings stir in the Worcestershire, celery salt, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper to the soup and sour cream mixture. Pour over the chicken.

In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.

Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly. I cooked mine (both of them) for 30 minutes exactly thanks to a timer, and they turned out perfect. Serve plain or over rice. We like to eat it with steamed broccoli and we mix it all together. I served it with green beans and macaroni and cheese. Classy.


All in all this is a great weeknight recipe. The prep time is minimal, and the finished product is fantastic.
It's definitely what Chance refers to as a "repeater."

No comments:

Post a Comment